…And a crafter in a yarn tree!

 Happy holidays! I am refraining from pictures of ungiven gifts until next week, but I do have a pattern to share, finally! 

This is a very simple pattern (US crochet terms) for fingerless mitts in bulky yarn, although I’ve made them in plenty of other yarn weights and they turn out beautifully. If your hands are a much different size from mine, or you want to use different size yarn, your width should be just barely enough to wrap around the thickest part of your palm (where your thumb attaches) plus 2 stitches for the join, and your length should be enough to go from a little ways down your wrist to just past your finger joints. I tend to cut the last row out of mine because I don’t like being restricted in my fingers even the tiniest bit.

These are basically a rectangle of double crochet with a hole in it, although I’ve done patterned ones before (cables are a lovely addition to ones worked in a smooth worsted weight yarn). For smaller yarns, I tend to use a hook of an appropriate size and start with foundation single crochet instead of a chain, just so it’s a bit neater; often I’ll do a row of sc as the last row and then do the slip stitching, then end with a round of sc into the bottom of the fsc. It just makes it look a bit neater. 

I made three pairs in four days last week, for my closest friends, and we had a lovely get together the other day, filled with holiday cheer (cookies! Hot chocolate! Gift exchanging!) and general joyfulness (laughter! Movie watching! Covid testing ahead of time!). They loved the mitts. I made them in 3 different colors of the yarn I recommend, and picked colors I knew they’d love; I think it worked out very well. 

Hanging out with our glove-ly mitts! (Mine are the light blue variegated ones.)

I named this pattern the Caroling Gloves, because I was imagining something like that scene from the muppet Christmas carol, the one with the ghost of Christmas present taking Scrooge onto the streets of London, and the song that happens then. 

Caroling Gloves:

Yarn: Lion Brand Homespun (much less than a skein)

Hook: N/9.00mm (or size for gauge)

Gauge: 4 dc/2 in and 3 rows/2 in 

Left glove (make 1) —

Row 1: Chain 19. Dc into 4th ch from hook (turning chain counts as stitch throughout) and in every chain across. 17 dc. 

Row 2-6: dc across (17 dc). Repeat this row more if you want longer wrists. 

Row 7: dc in first 3 st, ch 2 and sk next 2 dc of previous row. Dc in 6th st of row, then in the rest of the st across. 

Row 8: dc in each st across to ch2 space in previous row, 2dc in the ch2 space, then dc in last 3 st. 

Row 9 (I omit this row when I make gloves for myself): dc across. 

Row 10: ch 1. Fold the sides together so the ends of the rows are together. Sl st down this seam to close, making sure to work through both layers and working one st in from the edge. 

Finish off. Either weave in ends or string beads on the ends and tie to secure. 

Right glove (make 1) —

Row 1: Chain 19. Dc into 4th ch from hook (turning chain counts as stitch throughout) and in every chain across. 17 dc. 

Row 2-6: dc across (17 dc). Repeat this row more if you want longer wrists. 

Row 7: dc in first 12 st, ch 2 and sk next 2 dc of previous row. Dc in 15th st of row, then in the last 2 st  

Row 8: dc in first 3 st to ch2 space in previous row, 2dc in the ch2 space, then dc in each st across.

Row 9 (I omit this row when I make gloves for myself): dc across. 

Row 10: ch 1. Fold the sides together so the ends of the rows are together. Sl st down this seam to close, making sure to work through both layers and working one st in from the edge. 

Finish off. Either weave in ends or string beads on the ends and tie to secure. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murderbot Goes To Prom

Things Bardic Is Learning About The East Coast

Papagena Shawl — pattern and pictures

Off to college!