Because I could, that’s why

 I have a minor obsession with the Murderbot Diaries books, in case that’s not clear to anyone. And I needed a ship for a d&d game last week. So I drew a preliminary sketch of ART/Perihelion (the ship MB is somewhat friends with, depending on your feelings about what exactly friendship is) as a kind of guide for what the players would find. Then, of course, the players went elsewhere, and I didn’t use the map after all. 

However, I did add to it, and then redraw it nicer so it looks like an actual schematic that ART would have. Because I could, and I was bored, and I was forced to sit through a very boring presentation yesterday. Also, I’m sharing it because it’s nearly Christmas season, so a lot of my crochet work is presents, which I’ll share after Christmas when it’s not a spoiler. 

The whole thing
Logo on the top left. Transcript: Deep Space AI Division, Est. CR 2371. Pansystem University of Mihira and New Tideland. 

Close up of the front part of the ship. The key, by the way, says what each blue area is used for: dusky blue = Scientific Research, dark blue = Essential Functioning, light blue = Human Necessities, teal/turquoise/greenish blue = Storage. 

The pointy things are “debris deflectors” and any lines that cross the corridors are hatches that can be sealed like MB does in Network Effect. 

Back half of the ship. Engines and engineering and people’s quarters — there’s student quarters, and then there’s a second block that’s crew quarters. Left to right, top to bottom list for crew quarters: Seth/Martyn, Iris, Kaede, Tarik, Karime, Matteo, Turi, SecUnit. 

The original sketch. Pencil is what I had done from memory, edits are to make it more canon-compliant based on relative locations in NE. In my mind, this is ART’s official schematic, complete with MB’s comments. Cursive is ART, block scrawl is MB. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Papagena Shawl — pattern and pictures

Things Bardic Is Learning About The East Coast

Off to college!