The benefits of a nonexistent budget

I don’t have much of a budget for yarn or rpgs. In fact, most of the time, my budget is best described as nonexistent, for a handful of reasons. In addition, I have highly limited space. These two things combined mean that I rarely buy things, and if I can, I will always try to make do with what I have.

However, though it may seem like a bad thing, I actually love my situation (most of the time). The budget, and the fact that the budget is not easy to stretch, has taught me a lot of lessons about myself and my crafting and gaming.

I’m going to clarify something. I have a budget that includes money for things that I want to have. However, it takes some serious scrimping and saving to get that budget to cover anything I really want – and good tools and supplies are expensive no matter the hobby. This means that anything I buy, I know I really want.

I don’t buy, for instance, six balls of laceweight wool yarn just because I saw it at the yarn shop. Impulse buys aren’t in the budget. Instead, I save my money for a special yarn or rpg book, marking what it’s for and saving so I can afford it.

Most of the time, that is. I’m only human, and sometimes there’s a reason I’m looking for 6 balls of laceweight wool, like needing to make a friend a present. I can make an impulse buy, but I know that it’s keeping me from buying something I really want. It takes me about ten weeks of savings to buy one D&D book, on my budget. This means that I need to know what I want to buy when I save, so I have more time to consider a purchase and I can buy stuff I’ll actually use.

For instance, I saved up to buy the Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, a D&D5e book, a few years ago. I only had the money to buy one rpg book at the store, and I knew that I would use XGtE more than any of the adventures on the shelf, because I could use that material in many campaigns, while I could only play an adventure a few times before it got boring, and never with the same group twice. It went into my rpg stash, a bookshelf that’s got most of my rpg stuff (everything but dice and my nonexistent minis), and I always make heavy use of the stash I’ve got.

Whether it’s yarn or RPGs or something else, my stash is always where I start a project/campaign/thing. I use what I have, because I have to, but also because I want to. Every ball of yarn in my stash has a story there, even if it’s “cheap acrylic craft yarn left over from being a little kid that my mom let me have” or “bought on impulse years ago because I really loved the colors and I wanted a shawl”. I try to use this stuff, and even when the stuff no longer speaks to me the way it used to, I try to use it in other ways; I make stitch swatches and use it as spindle leader yarn and make cats cradle loops and use it as a fiddle, and I don’t waste it. I don’t usually just give away yarn, because I’ll always find a use for it. Unless I hate the yarn or need space, if I like a yarn it stays. 

I’m also good at adapting things. I don’t have the money to buy the rule book for a game? No problem, I’ll play another game that is free, or one I already have, or write my own game. I can’t buy a pattern for a beautiful shawl I saw? Okay, I can see how it was constructed, and I can make myself a shawl in the same shape using that cute blue yarn I have. I’m not supporting copyright infringement. I don’t illegally download something from a site that hosts copyrighted content for free. I use the original idea as inspiration, but I never use another creator’s work if I can’t afford it.

I think this last benefit, learning to adapt what I have, is the most important. It teaches me new skills, and reminds me that, even if I look at another person and envy how they have easily disposable income to spend on hobbies, I have just as much creative skills and make just as good things, and I value the product more because I had to do more for it. I think that’s kind of the core of this list: I don’t have money for it, so I’m putting more of myself into it.

And I’m lucky. I have room and board I don’t have to worry about, I have a stable situation at home and in general, and I’m healthy and safe and happy. Others don’t have that, and I know that to someone out there, my basically nonexistent budget is more than they could hope for, so I am grateful that I have what I have. 

What do you do, if your budget is tight? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murderbot Goes To Prom

Things Bardic Is Learning About The East Coast

Off to college!

Papagena Shawl — pattern and pictures